Thursday, March 13, 2008

Latest reads

I recently finished Blaze and Duma Key by Stephen King. I felt these two books were very much like his books from way back when. Back when I read his books voraciously. Back when I was in high school/college. I haven't been crazy about many of his books in the last ten years or so.

I have a student who loves Stephen King and read Duma Key right before I did. What he told me of the book made me think I wouldn't like it, but I did, especially the ending, even if it was (SPOILER ALERT?) sad.

The book I'm reading right now is Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee. I teach To Kill a Mockingbird and I find it fascinating that Lee has remained so private, never granting interviews, and was such good friends with Truman Capote, a very odd person. I enjoy the way the book is written. The author, Charles J. Shields, uses a conversational style that is engaging. Many times I find biographies dry, but that's not the case with this book. I recommend it, especially if you like To Kill a Mockingbird.

No comments: