Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Caroling We Go

Our Cub Scout pack went caroling at our hospital's extended care facility. I don't think the kids were prepared for what they were going to see. I know my kids weren't. I haven't been in a place like that for a long time, so I didn't even think about talking to them first. My kids were scared. They didn't expect to see older, incapacitated people. Some of them were completely unresponsive as we went through. My kids hid behind me and were to afraid to look at anyone. Then, a lady in a wheelchair discovered us and followed us around, trying to hold the kids' hands. They dealt with it well and were polite about it. We had a talk afterward about why the patients were there and how boring and lonely it would be to be in the hospital all the time. I told them that their being there was exciting for them. The kids seemed to be okay with everything after that.

We had our pack meeting after that and everyone got pinewood derby cars. Woohoo! G2 wants to make his into the cheesemobile (sshh-it's a secret!).

No comments: